Hungarian Meatballs in Tomato sauce
This delicious Hungarian meatballs recipe is one of our favourite meals during the winter. It is deliciously tasty and easy to make.
Even though this meatball recipe does take a while to prepare, it is something you can make upfront and pop into the oven before you want to eat.
Hungarian cuisine is something everyone should experience at some time. We were lucky enough to visit the beautiful city of Budapest a few years ago and had a wonderful time there.
While there, we visited some wonderful restaurants like Getto Gulyas and Menza where we ate the most delicious food. We shall definitely return there at some point, even if only for the food!
In this authentic Hungarian meatballs recipe, the choice of paprika is up to you – we like to use quite a hot paprika to give the creamy goulash type sauce a bit of a kick.
But you can also just use a sweet Hungarian paprika or a smoked paprika. If you cannot get a real Hungarian paprika then use whatever alternative you can get your hands on.
Obviously, if you want it a bit spicy you should use some hot paprika.
Types of Meatballs
Internationally, there are lots of different types of meatballs.
- Swedish Meatballs: These small, tender meatballs are traditionally made with a mixture of ground beef and pork, along with grated onion, breadcrumbs, and spices like allspice and nutmeg. They are often served with a creamy gravy and lingonberry sauce.
- Moroccan Meatballs: These spicy meatballs are made with ground lamb or beef, and a blend of North African spices like cumin, coriander, and cinnamon. They are often served with a flavorful tomato sauce and couscous.
- Greek Meatballs: Also known as keftedes, these meatballs are made with ground lamb or beef. They also include chopped onions, garlic, and fresh herbs like mint and oregano. They are often served with a tangy yoghurt sauce and pita bread.
- Vietnamese Meatballs: These small, flavorful meatballs are made with ground pork, along with lemongrass, ginger, garlic, and fish sauce. They are often served in a bowl of pho or as part of a banh mi sandwich.
- Italian Meatballs: These classic meatballs are typically made with a combination of ground beef and pork, along with breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and Italian herbs like oregano and basil. Very often served with tomato sauce and pasta.
Pork and beef meatballs
But I think recipes using meatballs are best when they have a mix of pork and beef in the meatballs. So I think these Hungarian meatballs are some way more similar to Italian meatballs than others, apart from the paprika that is used.
Pork and beef meatballs in this creamy meatball sauce make the perfect combination and just taste better. This recipe for meatballs is in fact really easy and satisfying to cook.
If you have some meatballs leftover we put them in the freezer. The frozen meatballs then just need to be re-heated in the microwave.
This beef and pork meatball recipe does freeze well. As there are just three of us, we often have some leftovers.
For those of you that like cheese with your meatballs we added an option of grating some Parmigiano Reggiano or Parmesan on the top when you serve up.
But it is still not quite a meatball parmigiana or meatball parmesan as you know it in the US.
But we were kindly given some Parmigiano Reggiano by the consortium so we thought we would use it in this recipe, and it worked!
I hope you enjoy making this delicious recipe. It is worth the effort, believe me.
If you do make it then please let me know how you get on in the comments section below!
I hope you enjoy trying this delicious recipe. If you do, please let me know how it turned out in the comments section below!
How to make Hungarian Meatballs